Thursday, April 29, 2010

Miracle in Poland

I was involved in a miracle last night and I am still in shock this morning. My brother witnessed this miracle and I am so thankful that I was not alone. I am sure no one would believe what I have to tell. I was at Euromedic Clinic in Katowice, Poland. I arrived approximately 8:30 am with my two friends Raj and Tony. We were all scheduled for angioplasty. When I arrived in the waiting room it was like I was in a dream. I saw pictures of this place on Facebook. I filled in quite a few forms then was taken to a room where I changed and was tended to by two very efficient and beautiful nurses. Shortly after this my hero Dr. Simka came and did a doppler of my neck. Everyone that was there was worried whether they had a problem or not. I was very confident going to Poland that they would find a problem in my neck, I often pointed to the exact spot. Tony and Raj were relieved to find out that they too had something wrong in their veins. I was in my room for a while and I was having a great deal of trouble staying awake. I hadn't taken my upper (Modafinil) that morning. This pill helps me to be awake without being addicting or give a drug hangover. By evening I am able to sleep. Not taking the pill made my wait very difficult as I couldn't stay awake. I am not sure of the order but I went into the theatre last at about 5:15 pm local time. I hopped up on the table and the nurses were trying to get me to move my head up more towards the top. Of course my Polish isn't very good so I was not understanding very well. They put a surgical wash on me and oxygen catheter in my nose. I was given something in my IV that was either dye or a relaxant. I never felt anything when they said you may feel a burning or pressure but I did not. When they were done about 20 minutes later they showed me what they did on the screen in the OR. The doctor was very down-to-Earth, not like our North American doctors (arogant). He showed me that me vein had reflux (blood going back into the brain) in my right Jugular. Of course this was the exact spot I have been pointing to the last 6 months when the Zamboni theory came out. Go figure, a patient actually knows their own body. As soon as I was done my operation the beautiful anesthitist talked to me and she could tell that I was much better. They wheeled me back to my room and I slid into my bed. I was ready to do cart wheels down the hall. Not allowed, I had to lay still for 5 hours. My brother Warren came in and he was shocked at how I was doing. I told him how great I felt, Warren said that he was more stoned after his angioplasty for arterial blockage. He then told me that I seemed more dopey before the procedure. For once in my life I did what I was told and stayed in bed. About 2 or 3 in the am a nurse let me out and I went to the washroom. I was unable to go back to sleep because I had this crazy energy that I haven't felt for years. I had my daughter's IPod so I put it on and started listening to tunes. I couldn't sit still so I got up and danced in my room at about 4 in the am. I am sure the Polish roommates that I had thought I was crazy. They were both a little more tired because they had stents put in and there MS was more advanced than mine. I may not look like I had MS but I sure felt like I did. Now that feeling is but a distant memory and one that I will gladly forget. Sorry for the lengthiness but i am so excited. I would like to thank all the people that put me in their prayers, that was very instrumental in my having this success. This is in memory of my dad, Peter Stefanuk 1932-2000. He helped me get here and is my best MS friend. Bless you all, I believe in miracles.

1 comment: