Thursday, May 6, 2010

I'm Home

What a great feeling to walk into your house and have your family waiting for you. This time was so much more special because I felt like I had a chance a being here for quite some time and being able to enjoy my life. After another trans-Atlantic flight I made it home on May 4th at 9 pm. Jim picked me up at the airport and brought me straight home to Tavia, Teal, Mom, and Emma of course. I had been awake for a good 24 hours by this time but I stayed up a little longer to show everyone my souveniers. May 5th brought a new day in Canada and a phone call from CTV news. They said they would be leaving right away and coming to interview me and I said "really?' I have to admit I was still pretty jetlagged but I struggled through anyways. After Mike Ciona left I was worried what they would put on the segment but did they ever do a good job. I asked for a copy so I could put it on Facebook and my Blog.

I thought I would use this blog to let everyone know what my family is noticing upon my return. The first night I was so tired making it difficult to tell anything. Jim noticed right away that the fluid build up on my body was gone. He thought my face was a lot thinner, this couldn't be because of a diet because I ate like a pig in Poland. Everyone noticed I wasn't so tired. Last night Jim said that my colour is much better and that he thinks my eyes have more colour in them. My mom agreed realizing that she had noticed something different there too. Jim said that I probably have had dull colour (grey) for a lot of years, possibly 20 or more. The small things that will be changing in the next while are really big for me. I always noticed the progression of my disease and now I am so happy to be able to notice improvements. It is almost sureal for me, I feel like I will wake up and all of this was a dream. I wished for improvements or at the very least no more progression of my disease. I never would have wished for what I have received so far, I thought it would be impossible. What have I learned from my experience:

  1. Prayer works
  2. Dream Big
  3. Family is everything
  4. You can buy health
  5. Believe in yourself

I have nothing but good to say about the country of Poland and their health care system. I don't have much good to say about ours. I have to say that there are good people in the system though. Dr. Ernst has been very supportive of me throughout my MS journey. I will do everything in my power to get the tides to change and the people with MS treated here. I now know my purpose in life. Before I thought I was destined for suffering, now I am a crusader.

No comments:

Post a Comment